Friday, August 1, 2014

HIM/Looking forward/Switching gears

Market to Market 2010.  Can't believe it's almost time for this event again! 
LOTS of stuff going on.  I am starting work next week after a long year off...this means not only a transition for myself, but for my boys.  And while I know that it is good for our entire family, it will most likely be hard (at least a little) getting used to our new routines.  In addition, we will be heading to Michigan next weekend for our half-ironman.  While I will admit that I am very nervous having never competed in such a long event, it should be an exciting experience.  And though we will not be in Michigan for long, I'm looking at it like a mini "vacation" as we didn't get to go anywhere this summer.  Between now and then, lots of things need to be accomplished.  A plethora of transition gear, nutrition, travel plan, etc.  Philip and I have been talking to people who have done this race, scouring over blogs, and reading the Steelhead 70.3 website so that we have a head's up regarding the course and race itself.

Looking forward, I think it's going to be nice to focus on our fall marathon.  I have done every scheduled long run, BUT my focus has been on our triathlon workouts.  Plus, with five races last month, it was very tough to get workouts scheduled and completed...thus, I have missed all of my speed work and will admit that my daily runs have been rather short (if I'm not doing a long run, I'm probably running 3 or 4 miles).  So after I take a couple days off post-HIM, I am going to re-evaluate my training and what I would like to accomplish this fall.  I have a couple of other races on my schedule, but no direction or plan.  Without this, I feel like I'm "floundering" around.  It's going to be tough to run a quick 5k without speed work or to run a good marathon without quality long runs.

SO FAR, this is what my fall looks like:

Sept. 26- Harvest Moon Hustle

Oct. 5-Twin Cities Marathon

Oct. 11-Market to Market NE

October 26- Cross Country Classic

I would like to add another marathon in, but unsure of where and when.  Why? I hate working hard for months and putting all of my eggs into one basket.  What is the weather is awful? What if I have an "off" day?  Doing two marathons give me an opportunity to allow for things that I cannot control regarding the race.  My options are the NE State Fair Marathon on August 23rd (too soon to be recovered from HIM and ready for a 26.2), Sioux Falls on Sept. 7 (not sure I can commit to traveling that far), Omaha Marathon on Sept. 21 (good location and time, not-so-good course or race management).  Des Moines (Oct. 19th) would probably be my best bet, but once again, it sucks up the majority of another weekend.  I don't know.

Well, best to keep it short and sweet today.  Next up: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment