Sunday, March 8, 2015

Race Report: Leprechaun Chase 10k

PH and I post-race
Leprechaun Chase.  For the last several years, this event has been a big deal to me.  Because of this, I have trained hard and typically had a good day here.  Yesterday, this was not the case.

Although I have had a few hurdles during my current training cycle, I felt more of less ready a week from race day.  I told my husband that I was going to train hard at the beginning of the week and then taper off so I'd be ready for race day.  I did 9 miles last Saturday, took it easy Sunday, then REALLY hammered it on Monday and Tuesday to the tune of three-a-days and 90 minutes total of hard work on both days.  Wednesday I pulled another tough two-a-day.  After that workout, my legs felt like they were toast.  I was still hopeful at this point and took it very easy on Thursday and Friday.  (I even took an extremely cold 20 minute ice bath in hopes that it would speed my recovery.)  Still, I awoke Saturday morning to tired legs.  Part of me wanted to pull out of the race before it even started...and part of me wondered if a good time was possible even with my overtrained legs.

I spend my Saturday morning cleaning and caring for my boys.  Nutritionally, my day was near perfect.  Cereal, coffee, and water for breakfast, then a peanut butter bagel and yogurt with more water for lunch.  I was feeling okay.

But here's how the race went:

The start:
As was expected, the competition was insanely talented.  I saw all of the usual faces, and many whom I didn't know (some folk from Colorado had the made the trip...like I said, this race is a big deal).  But judging by the fact that they positioned themselves at the very front of the pack, I knew they'd be fast.  As the starting gun sounded, the top dogs all sprinted off.  I felt good for the first few minutes.

Miles 2-3:
I was still holding my own at this point.  While three of my teammates were in front of me, they were not that far in front (maybe 20ish seconds??).  This is a hilly course and though I should have been feeling okay during these early miles, I could already feel every hill.  Not that I mentally gave up this early, but I knew that I was in trouble.  I glanced down at my watch at mile 3...20:25.  Okay, not GREAT by any means, but if I even split I could still run a 41 and some change.

Miles 4-finish:
Oh my.  Oh my.  I have not felt this terrible during a race in forever.  (Isn't it weird how you can feel so good when you're running fast and horrible when you're running slow?)  I debated dropping from the race around mile 4 so I wouldn't have to face the music of this race.  I was definitely seeing the writing on the wall.  The last mile offers a decent downhill, and I was trying my hardest to use this, but was coming up empty.  As I passed mile 6 (with .2 to go), I glanced down at my watch...upper 42.  Geez.  This was way worse than I thought.
...

The after party was fun.  I really enjoyed being with my husband and friends and celebrating their successes.  I have always said that you need bad races to appreciate the good ones.  And you really DO.  But this was four minutes slower than last year.  FOUR MINUTES.  So now I'm dealing with some self doubt.  Is this it? Am I done? Picking yourself up from a defeat can be a tough feat.  But I feel very driven to do great things in the running world... which looks to be part of my problem.  I have not been respecting my body by giving it the rest it needs to recover from tough efforts.  I am 31 now.  I have had two babies.  I'm working and have my family to care for.  As much as I'd like to be able to hammer the way I did in my 20's, those days are over.

I'm gonna try some new things with my training.  Wish me luck!


2 comments:

  1. Adeline,
    I came across your blog on a friends facebook page. After reading your workouts leading up to the race it appears you put your body into high oxidative stress levels. With those two days of rest it wasn't enough time for the oxygen in your body to clear out the damages from those workouts. Be careful with those heavy workouts because you can cause some of your cells to begin the anaerobic processing of sugars rather than aerobic processing. That may have been why you felt sluggish. I hope the new workout approaches change your performances for you. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More rest, Addy! You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete