Sunday, January 11, 2015

Patience and Persistence

Were we really able to run in shorts just a few months ago?!
patience: an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay

persistence: continued existence or occurrence

As I enter my third full week of training, I am in a fight to remain patient and persistent.  On one hand, I have dropped five minutes from my 3 mile time in about a week and a half.  On the other, I am light years away from where I began 2014.  Glancing back at last year's calendar, my first run of the year was 3 miles in 19:01.  This year--26:51.  I would be lying if I didn't say I was nervous about how this year would go.  As important as running is to me, it was forced to take the back seat since October as I have had many family and health issues going on.  In the past 15 years, I have maaaaybe taken a week off here and there, but nothing to the extent of the end of 2014.  I would also be lying if I said I wasn't surprised at the amount of fitness that I so quickly lost...and how fast my body adapted to being sedentary.

For now, I have a heck of a plan to get back into racing shape.  I have long runs planned from now until the Lincoln half, and am almost done getting my speed work sessions in place.  I am also very comfortable with my cross-training efforts, which was initially hard to adapt to.  (C'MON--I am a RUNNER--why do anything but THAT?!) But between triathlon and watching my 10k times steadily drop as a result of my time on the bike, I am convinced...strengthen those quads, run a little faster.

As I had planned to use January mainly as a base/build-up month, I am not sure how my February races will go.  My goal is to be race ready by the beginning of March for Leprechaun Chase, then train through April for a strong half and a run at our third title at Market to Market Iowa.  Would it be nice to be in tip-top shape with no worries about performances this spring? Yes, but all these highs and lows are what make you a solid athlete...and more importantly, a stronger person.

I am sure that many of you have signed up for the Lincoln half or full and have started your training (or strongly thinking about it...ha).  Although it might be hard to visualize our goals becoming reality, remember that running and life often run side by side.  Take it one day and one workout at time...maybe even one minute (those minutes sure do seem to last forever on the treadmill). Surround yourself with positive and encouraging people, eat lots of fruit and vegetables, and remain patient and persistent. Recipe for success? I think so.

Happy running, treadmilling, biking, swimming, walking, ellipticalling, and smiling. That helps too. :):):)


No comments:

Post a Comment