Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving-January 1...RUNNING STREAK TIME!

Finishing the 'Staching Through the Snow' 5k Saturday in David City
Three years ago, my sister and I decided to take part in the Runner's World Running Streak.  What is this, exactly? The basic premise of the streak is to run at least one mile every day between Thanksgiving Day and ending on New Year's (check out the FAQ here).  I had every intention of being successful, but got derailed maaaaybe two weeks in when I got pnemonia.  After a day or two of trying to slog out one mile while really sick, I had to back out.  Last year, Philip joined Em and I, and all three of us made it through.

Maybe you are a runner, maybe not.  Either way,  the thought of participating (or observing) in something such as this might bring about some questions.  Is this a dumb idea?  Will they get hurt? What's the point?  I can very easily answer these questions.  Is it dumb?  Could be.  But I doubt the way that we do it is.    Last year, my minimum was three miles per day...which for me isn't a ton.  This year, the streak is taking place during my planned "off season".   As Ironman training will start next summer, I'm taking some time off from racing and serious training.  How does the streak fit in?  By running the minimum of 1 mile. (I'm primarily doing easy cross training right now.)  Will we get hurt?  I doubt it.  Once again, I don't think we are doing enough to constitute an overtraining injury.

Which brings us to our last question...what's the point?  Two things come to mind.  It's pretty competitive (in a fun way) for Emilie, Philip, and I.  Nobody wants to be the one who doesn't finish the streak.  Plus, we get lots of family bonding in as we are constantly contacting each other to see how the streak is going.  Secondly, I celebrated Thanksgiving a record FOUR times this year.  FOUR.  You all know what this means.  Lots of potatoes.  Lots of turkey.  Lots of pie.  Lots.  The streak makes sure we are burning at least one of those delicious, homemade rolls off.

Here's to the 2014 streak.  It's gonna be a good one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment