Friday, August 29, 2014

not.feeling.motivated

Philip and I pre-race at Steelhead
I'll just say it.  I'm struggling a bit to stay motivated.

Part of this has to do with the half-ironman...the better part of my summer was spent building up to that event, and now it's over.  So I'm feeling a bit sad about that...which, oddly enough, it's pretty common to feel a sense of "sadness" when a big event is over.  Typically I never really feel like this as I usually have another event right around the corner.  Additionally, my body was very tired after Steelhead. I took only the Monday after the event off, and jumped right back into my regular routine Tuesday morning.  I'd planned an 18 miler for that next Saturday morning, but fell flat on my face (metaphorically...though that would be a funny sight!).  I majorly struggled to finish 13 of the 18.  I try not to let bad workouts like that bother me too much, but this left me feeling a little panicky....if I can barely run 13, how will I finish my full marathon in October?? I needed to make some changes to get back into the grove.

I took the ENTIRE next week off (August 17-23) and then revamped this past week.  I moved around some long runs so I could buildup again post half-iron.  That gave me a 10 mile long run last Sunday and 13 this weekend, allowing me to ease back into the REALLY long runs.  Hopefully this works.

Going back to work has also presented some challenges.  As I work in Columbus, my work day ends up being 10 hours with the hour drive there and back.  I have been trying my hardest to get up early so I can get at least 3 miles in before heading to my job.  It is tough to do much more on these days (I work 3 days a week)...and I only have a couple hours with my boys once I get home, so if I miss a morning or was hoping for a two-a-day, I try to do this after they go to bed.  Honestly, it's harder to do workouts at 8:30pm than 5am.

Finally, I'm trying to work through not feeling motivated.  I have been training and racing in a very high gear since January and my brain and body are getting a little tired.  I have four races that are a big deal to me (Harvest Moon Hustle, Twin Cities Marathon, Market to Market, and the Cross Country Classic), so it's really important that I work through this and get back on my A-game.

Monday is September first which means the summer months are behind us.  Bring on Fall! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment