Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Race Report: Downtown Runaround

I am running the two-mile, Scott!!
I have been running the Columbus Downtown Runaround since I was a teenager.  The race offers two distances: the 2.1 mile run and the 5 mile.  In high school, I always ran the shorter race and moved into the 5 mile through college.  But because of the fact that the race is at the end of July, and thus the temperatures are very hot and humid (i.e. terrible racing conditions), I found myself running horribly in the longer race.  So, several years ago I moved back into the shorter race and have found more success. Okay, okay....I know that most of the real competition signs up for the 5, but how often do I get to duke it out with the teeny-boppers?  I won the race in 2011, but other than that I'm usually in the top 3.  And besides...I had the Omaha Triathlon the next morning so didn't want to completely toast my legs.

I arrived at the race around 7am (race was to start at 8) but quickly found my teammate Angela.  It actually worked out for my folks, husband, and boys to all come cheer, but there was no reason for them to come as early as me.  The 5-milers started their event first, and the 2.1 milers started 5 minutes later.  I started at the front of the group and held the lead for the first mile or so, but then was passed by a youngster.  I tried to stay only a few seconds behind her so I could make a surge later, but as we turned the final corner, she was too far in front for me to realistically do anything.  I ended up finishing the race in 12:44, my best time by probably 30-40 seconds, in second place.  (I think this is 6:04 pace? You can't forget about the extra .1 they tack on to the distance...ha.)

One of the great things about this race is the beer and pizza at the end...well, no beer for me as I was racing again the next day, but this is quite the draw for many of the participants!  The pizza selection is crazy...they order pies from literally every vendor in Columbus! Very fun! Oh...and I must also add that the weather was gorgeous! Another awesome day for a race, which I suppose makes up for some of the rainy races we experienced earlier this year!

Happy Racing and Running!

Complete results can be found here: http://www.onlineraceresults.com/event/view_event.php?event_id=13601

No comments:

Post a Comment