Monday, June 23, 2014

Weight+Food+Running

As a stereotypical active high schooler, I mostly ate what I wanted and remained the same size.  I specifically remember eating two sandwiches most days at lunch and would usually eat a snack after school.  I ran cross-country, was on the swim team, and also competed in track.  Between this and a fast metabolism, I was able to effortlessly maintain my weight.  However, two months into my freshman year at UNL, I very quickly put on 20 pounds.  It snuck up on me, almost behind my back, and I didn't seem to notice it until it was a done deal.  I was not running much in those days, but would go to the rec center several times a week and also took a kick boxing class.  That January, I signed up for the Lincoln full marathon, but barely trained enough to complete the half. (That race remains my personal worst half marathon.)

So many things about this made me really sad.  The fact that I actually had time to train for the marathon and didn't.  That I had run the half SO much slower than the year before.  That I was still 20 pounds too heavy.  The choices that I was making were obviously not what was best for my body or my self-esteem.   I remember talking to my dad about all of this, so we made a decision...and signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in 2003.  Using Hal Higdon's novice program, my dad and I both successfully finished our first full marathons that fall.  I started viewing food a little differently.  My body needed FUEL to do the hard things that I was asking, and it accepted this new role.  During my training that summer and fall, I was able to lose most all of the weight that I had gained and was happier and healthier.

I recently read an article entitled something to the effect of "Do you eat to run or run to eat?"  This can be such a tricky question.   I do use long runs or tough workouts as a reason to be able to eat "bad" things or large amounts of food.  For example, I remember marathon training with my friend Leah...we would always go to Dairy Queen a get a blizzard after our 18 or 20 mile runs.  I have also been known to reward myself with a can of pop after a long run.  (I once knocked on my neighbor's door for a soda after a hard speed workout because I really REALLY wanted one and didn't have any at my home.)  I don't necessarily think treating yourself to unhealthy things occasionally is a bad thing.  But on the flip side, I am also very concerned about making sure that I eat plenty of calories before, during, and after my runs.  I ate two lunches in preparation for our last long brick workout which started at 4pm.  (I ate a turkey sandwich and yogurt for lunch #1 and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at around 2:30pm for lunch #2.)  I have found that my workouts go much better after I have eaten breakfast, so if I workout first thing in the morning, I usually opt for a short/easy run.  As I can't envision how terrible I'd feel attempting a long run with an empty tummy, I got up at 4:30am yesterday to eat a bagel with peanut butter before our long run that started at 7am.

So I think it comes down to this...it was a healthier approach for me when I started viewing food as something that would make me a faster and stronger athlete. While I will be the first to admit that my diet could use some work, the way I have eaten and trained this spring have resulted in new 10K and half marathon PR's.

So CAN you exist both ways??  I think yes, but eating to run is more important.  If you expect your body to perform at high levels, it needs healthy foods to function at its best.

I hope to see many of you at this weekend's SOLD OUT CorNfieldCorNfield, which is part of the BRIN Running Series.  Check out info about the series at: http://www.bornandracedne.com/  Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment