Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Race Report: Bryan Health Indoor Triathlon

This year was the third time that I had competed in the Bryan Health Indoor Tri.  I just really like this event! I tend to be a victim of race anxiety, so the fact that this race is not outdoor really helps.  No wind, rain, or extreme heat or cold.  My kind of race.

The event consists of a 10 minute swim, followed by a 10 minute transition.  Next we get on the spin bike for 30 minutes, a quick 5 minute transition, and hop on the treadmill for 20 minutes.  The goal is to see how much you can get done in the allotted time frames.  While I had been consistently running and biking, I had not been swimming much...well, at all.  The last time I swan was at the indoor tri I had done on January 3rd.  Thank goodness my body knows swimming so well!  I didn't have a lot of anxiety going into the event, but since I had won the previous year, I went into this year's event with the hope of winning.

the swim.
Okay, so 10 minutes of swimming.  Shouldn't be too bad.  And it wasn't.  I felt strong the entire time. I was sharing my lane with Philip, and my sister was in the lane to his left.  Emilie and I ended up getting the same amount of laps (26) in that time frame.   I felt good!

the bike.
Ahhh....my weakness.  I was so embarrassed by my average watts last year of 152.  I REALLY wanted to get more than that this year! So I stuck my ear buds in and pedaled literally as hard as I could.  Philip attends at cycling workout over his lunch break at the Fallbrook Y, so he shared with me where I would be the most bang for my buck (higher resistance + higher RPM = higher watts)
 .  Holy crap.  That was hard.  My average was 157 this year.  Better, but really?! I shouldn't be as tired as I was...

the run.
Oh, here we go here we go.  As I was standing on my treadmill thinking about the pain before me, I was a bit worried.  I knew that I was going to have to get the most miles to secure the 100 given points and heard that I needed to get at least 2.9 to overtake the current female leader.  The current male leader had 3.2.  So, my 'A' goal here became to beat the guy, my 'B' goal to get around 3 miles.  I set my treadmill to about 9.5 to start, gradually moving up to 10.2.  This lasted until I had about 5 minutes left...I felt my legs turning to jello and began having serious doubts about my body's ability to continue at that speed without falling off.  I had to pull myself all the way down to 9.0.  When the 20 minutes was over, I had run 3.25 miles! Woo hoo!

Late that evening, the results were emailed out.  I was happy to see that I had won the event again.  I had done much better than the previous year.  I did try really, really hard though.  I always want to do my best and have been doing a much better job in the past couple years of pushing my body even though it hurts.

Once again, it was a great day.  And not just because of that W.  I got to spend the afternoon with two of my favorite people--my sister and my husband--doing what we love. :):):)





No comments:

Post a Comment